Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Plombier

So Danny and I just got back from Paris. This time we went for four days instead of for just a weekend. We saw some old friends, ate at some of my favorite restaurants, took advantage of "Les Soldes" (sales for all of your non francophiles), visited Versailles, and stood on top of the Arc de Triomphe. It was nice to get back to New York though. I just can't get used to French plumbing. The tiny shower in our hotel made me feel like a fatso and the water pressure was just not what I am used to. Why do French showers all have a handheld shower head? Are we expected to hose something down while we're in there or something?
I also cannot get used to the many different ways in which you are supposed to flush a French toilet. There is the standard handle on the side of the cylindrical toilet tank, the foot pedal, the chain, the automatic self-cleaning street toilets, and the constantly running water fountain like in the McDonald's on the Champs Elysees. I'm sure you are wondering why I know what the toilet is like in a French McDonald's. Well even though the food will kill you and it tastes terrible, you can be sure that every McDonald's will have a toilet. They act as American embassies all throughout the world, welcoming Americans through the Golden Arches to use the toilets.
Believe it or not, we counted three Starbuck's Coffee restaurants while we were in Paris. I did not venture inside to check out the plumbing situation, but I did realize that the only people coming out of Starbuck's were French. Trust me, Starbuck's will leave if you stop drinking their coffee...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does plombiers mean?

12:08 AM, January 20, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

Plombier is French for plumber.

9:30 AM, January 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home